Unattended Cooking Caused Acton Flat Fire
Fire Brigade issues warning after blaze on Friary Road
London Fire Brigade are warning of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended after a flat fire on Friary Road in Acton this Tuesday (18 May).
Part of a three-roomed flat on the second floor of the building was damaged in the incident. One woman was treated on scene after suffering from smoke inhalation.
The Brigade was called at 9.38am and the fire was under control within an hour. Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Acton, Ealing, Chiswick and Hammersmith fire stations attended the scene.
The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by unattended cooking.
It discovered by a person who returned to the kitchen after cooking breakfast and saw fire coming from a pan on the cooker. They attempted to tackle the fire before leaving the building.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said, “On arrival crews saw smoke coming from a second-floor window at the front of the building and could hear smoke alarms sounding.
“Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than in any other room in the home.
"Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill and if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
“This is also a reminder to never try to tackle a fire yourself. Leave it to the professionals and call 999 as soon as you become aware of a fire in your home.”
May 20, 2021