Cricket Star's Son Killed in Savage Attack

Man from East Acton accused of Leicester Square murder

  Related Links

James Herman accused of killing man in knife attack

Woman murdered on East Acton Estate

  Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

A man from East Acton is standing trial at the Old Bailey accused of being part of a gang who set upon and killed the son of a former Pakistan cricket international during a night out in the West End. The incident took place on May 1st of last year.

Assistant Bank Manager Saad Ilhim Mohiuddin, who was aged 24 and lived in New Malden, had been out with friends when he became involved in a dispute with a group of men in Leicester Square. Mr. Mohiuddin became separated from his friends when chased by the men who set upon him. He was taken to St. Thomas's Hospital but pronounced dead soon after arrival.

His father Ilham Mohiuddin played cricket for Pakistan during the 1960s.

Rashid Tabali, aged 20 of East Acton, is alleged to have been part of a larger group who had been causing trouble in the West End prior to the incident. Having left the Hippodrome nightclub in Leicester Square they became involved in an altercation with staff of the nearby All Bar One bar. Members of the group had been urinating against furniture stacked outside the bar and when staff complained they were attacked and a window was broken.

This group moved on to come across Mr. Mohiuddin and three of his friends who had been drinking in the Café de Paris club. Words were exchanged and it is alleged by the prosecution that members of the gang stamped on Mr. Mohiuddin's head and hit him with belts during a frenzied and drunken attack which continued even after the victim was unconscious.

Tabali was arrested by police soon after in the vicinity and Mr Mohiuddin's blood was found on his trainer. His co-accused fled to the Middle East but were identified by CCTV footage. They all admit to being involved in the altercation that preceded the killing but deny being part of the group that attacked Mr. Mohiuddin blaming the others for the assault.

The trial is continuing at the Old Bailey.

March 9, 2006