Residents Allege Dirty Tricks Campaign
As communal garden featured in Around Ealing is threatened
Residents of Rosemont Court are furious over the felling of a protected tree and the removal of local businesses to make way for a Barratt development that will tower 7.5m over them. Nearly 100 people signed a petition against the six storey Barratt’s block which will be nearly three times the height of the current building, Acton Central Industrial Estate.
A decision on the proposal will be made tomorrow evening at 7:00pm in the Council Chamber of Ealing Town Hall.
Richard Newman, a Rosemont Court resident said, “Rosemont Court is a lovely 1930s art deco, four storey block, but we would need to be a grade 1 listed building to hope to stop this massive development.
His wife, Jo Newman, said, “The first we knew someone was trying to build next to us was when we woke up one Sunday morning to the sound of chainsaws destroying a plane tree on the Estate adjacent to us. When we went to investigate with the local businesses, that neighbour us said it was nothing to do with them, and all they knew was that they were being asked to leave the site. Some of them had been there for 25 years.
What is particularly galling to the Rosemont Court residents is that their communal garden, which will lose a huge amount of sunlight, was only last month held up by the Council in October’s Around Ealing as a great example of sustainable development and a prime example of how to grow your own vegetables and compost food waste.
But residents say the new development will not only rob their garden of sunlight, but will also make it impossible to grow things there because of drainage problems.
She continued: “The severe loss of light and green space plus extra noise is going to make life unbearable for us and our one-year-old twins."
Another resident, Damian Smith, said: “I’ve seen correspondence where Council planner Andrew Vaughan states that there were no protected trees on site. This is completely wrong.
November 24, 2009